Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Finally for Dot

Dot was ready!


Dot nursing her twin lambs

Last night, I was heading to bed and through my open window, I could hear one of the girls complaining. So, just to make sure, I headed to the sheep shed at midnight to check on everyone. It was Dot again. Nothing was happening, but she was coming easily to me. Benjamin and his mom Annie were content as could be. Back to bed I went. Just before 5 am this morning I woke up and heard one of the girls...and this time a little baa...another lamb? I quickly got dressed, went outside and plugged in all the lights and by the time I neared the shed, I could hear 2 lambs crying. Dot had twins. They were just trying to get to their feet. I moved them to the lambing pen with Annie. Dot was being very protective of her lambs and kept head butting the now curious little Benjamin, so I put a divider in the lambing pen so each had her area. I helped Dot dry off her lambs with old towels and did a quick check...2 little girls.


Elphaba (white face and panda eyes) and Ebony (small white patch on forehead). Elphaba weighs 2.7 kg and Ebony weighs 3.45 kg. Very good weights for twins. Both are doing very well and neither appears blind (Dot was 1 of 2 moms that had a blind lamb last year that had severe problems and died within 12-18 hours).


On his second day of life, Benjamin is doing very well and I let him and his mom Annie out into the clean grassy pasture for a bit of romping and exploration. He was introduced to the other moms nose to nose through the fence bordering the pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment