Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day!!!

I love Snow Days! Snow Days here mean that the buses are cancelled and the kids get to stay home. There isn't much point driving them into school because there are very few students that go and they don't do anything and luckily, I'm home so they have that option. By this morning, we had more snowfall than any of the other days this winter. Before going out to do the animals this morning, I joked with the kids that if I didn't return within an hour, they should come looking for me. It was the first time I really had to dig out the way for me to reach the animals and for them to get out. Luckily, my heated hose worked just fine, so I was able to water the animals. There have only been 2 days so far that my hose wouldn't work and it was understandably cold (-20ÂșC and colder with the windchill) on those days. Half an hour later, Brianna poked her head out the back door calling for me. I was in the barn so she couldn't see me. I thought she was going to ask me if she could play computer, but she just wanted to know if I was OK. She's so sweet!

Snow Day is a relaxed and happy day here on the farm. With the power still on and no one having to leave or drive in the weather, there is a wonderful feeling about being "snowed in". In the morning, I don't fuss much about the kids watching TV or playing video games...they pretty well do what they want. After lunch, they have to shovel and go play outside. Brianna took Emerson out and was training him to pull a tobaggan. Both dogs and kids alike enjoyed climbing the big mountain created by Hugh with previous snow clearings. Unfortunately, it means that I can no longer contain the dogs in the front pasture because the mountain now spans across the top of the fence and they are agile at going up one side and down the other. Baking brownies, hot chocolates, reading and popcorn movie night will round out the day. Here's hoping that I can get out tomorrow morning, because it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. Stay safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment