Thursday, January 29, 2009

Welcome to Hill Grove Farm


I want to welcome family and friends to my small family farm named Hill Grove Farm. It is a mixed farm with sheep, chickens and ducks and a dog named Clio (with 4 puppies in tow right now). The name Hill Grove is the name of a small town outside Digby, Nova Scotia where I would visit my Grammie and Grampie Gates on their farm. Those August summer visits were one of the highlights of my childhood and would make a lasting impression on me and my future dream of living on my own farm. We moved into our place November 2004. The following summer, my father and aunt had to sell Grampie's house and farm. My dad rented a Uhaul and drove it back from Nova Scotia to rural Ottawa filled with treasures (and maybe some trash ;-). From that I inherited a lot of farm tools and equipment that had belonged to my grandfather and possibly his father before, who was listed on a 1911 census as being a farmer. In a small way I'm continuing on the tradition of farming in my family and hopefully passing on some of those good memories and funny stories to my children. At the very least, they'll learn first hand some things they may not otherwise have learned. Enjoy the stories.
Here I am as a young girl with my Grampie in his large vegetable garden. When my grandfather became very sick several years back, he was checking out his garden, fell and couldn't get up and the caregiver with him at the time also couldn't lift him up, so he said "Might as well do some weeding". I love that story. I think that was probably the last garden he grew and my dad helped him plant it because he wasn't able to do it himself. I know it meant a lot to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment