Monday, May 3, 2010

Beautiful Sight

I tossed and turned all night. Every 2 hours or so, I'd get up to listen by my bathroom window...not a peep. As soon as morning broke and everyone's alarms went off, I got up and went to check in the barn. I had put Annie in a lambing pen the night before and I was sure she was in labour when I checked on her in the evening, but it seemed slow. All night I listened for her, because I had a bad feeling, which translated into lambing nightmares. Boy I'm being dramatic...







As I had hoped, there they were, 2 healthy looking little lambs in the lambing pen with Annie. This is Annie's 3rd lambing and she finally twinned, a ewe and a ram. I did a bit of a double take on the ram lamb, because he is very white, but with several black/gray spots...what is going on...oh, he's Katmoget...but its different looking from my other Katmoget lambs. Bill, if you are reading this, I'm going to need help on this one. He has the characteristic dark legs, but his belly is white with black-ish spots. We think he will be named Caspar, which is English for wealthy man (pronounced like Casper, the Friendly Ghost). He weighs 2.55kg. The ewe lamb weighs 1.9kg and is definitely Katmoget, but I've noticed that her chin is light coloured, similar to pictures I've seen as Light Badger Face. She has a lot of reddish pigment around her face and eyes, which I'm seeing in some of Twist's lambs. She an absolute cutey and is very calm and cuddly. We have decided to call her Cassia, which is Greek for cinnamon. Her fleece will likely end up being a light grey/musket like her mother. The reason I heard nothing last night is because everything was just fine. The 2 lambs were already dry by morning and obviously contentedly fed...like good Shetlands that they all are.

1 comment:

  1. What is Annie? ... grey ... musket ... katmoget? Is she spotted or carrying spots?

    Try to post a picture of her for me ... and a better on of the ram lamb as well.

    I LOVE this interesting stuff ... :-)

    ReplyDelete