Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ebony

Late last night, as Hugh and I were putting the sheep and lambs in for the night, I noticed that Ebony was in labour. I quickly hustled her into a free lambing pen and went to work capturing errant lambs. About 15 minutes later, I was all done and mentioned to Hugh that I would look in on Ebony to see how she is progressing... Hugh says, "Well, there's a lamb!" Sure enough, a dark little Katmoget ram lamb that I've named Graydon which is English for Gray, as that is the colour of his fleece. That just shows you how quick and easy these sheep are. This little guy was born late in the evening and coupled with the fact that the temperature was dropping drastically to zero, with winds, we closed up all the doors. I put a little sweater on him to keep him warm as he was shivering and I didn't really want to hover over him all night, as Ebony seemed to have everything under control.

That leaves only Thelma (due to have twins) and her daughter from last year Ursula (with only 1 lamb expected). The lamb count is now 17 (7 rams; 10 ewes).

No comments:

Post a Comment