Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Farm Stand Revisited

It has been a little over a month that I opened my little roadside farmstand selling eggs and I'm very pleased with the outcome. In my inaugural month, I sold 16 dozen eggs as surplus to our uses, producing about 1 dozen every 2 days. Nearly half were sold out of the little red egg cooler by the side of the road, but more were sold to friends and neighbours and people driving by that saw our sign and came up to the house. Not only has it paid for my feed costs, it has allowed me an opportunity to meet people in the neighbourhood that I hadn't met before in the 5 years since we've been here. They have gotten to know me a bit and I've had a few conversations about my chickens and sheep and what I'm doing here on my little piece of land. Unfortunately, I've frequently been SOLD OUT and have had to turn people away or offer to deliver when the next dozen is ready. Because of this, I've decided to expand! On Saturday, I picked up another dozen young ready-to-lay hens. Since they are young, they will be laying little eggs until they get a little bigger. I already had 3 hens that lay little eggs (because they are a bantam/smaller size), so I've begun to sell Small sized eggs as well as my regular size of XL eggs. When the new hens are up to full production, their eggs will be full size giving me 24 hens that produce XL eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment