
Brianna and I attended the Bird and Small Animal Buy/Sell/Trade event held in Renfrew. I'd heard about it in the spring, but we had never been to it. We headed out early, armed with cages and cardboard boxes in search of new hens for my now thriving egg business and maybe a duck or 2 to keep our Silver Appleyard duck, Monica company and Brianna was hoping to get either a mouse or dwarf hamster as a pet to go into the cage we already had at home. We saw a lot of interesting birds, ducks and chickens, and rabbits, many I'd heard or read about, but never actually seen in person. I didn't find my ready to lay hens, but I got a lead on maybe 4 or 5 that I may be able to pick-up later this week. I did find many potential friends for Monica, but settled on a Welsh Harlequin drake that we've named Harley. This little duck is about 3 months old having been born in June of this year. We brought him home and he got to meet Clio unexpectedly through his cage which really un-nerved him and started him hissing. I was going to put his cage next to Monica's pen so that they would get comfortable with each other before putting them in at night together, but he was so stressed out that I put his cage right in her pen and opened the door. Monica was on the other side of the pool looking at him, when he rushed out of the cage and ran right into the duck house. He never left. We checked later and Monica was still outside, possibly concerned about going inside her house, and Harley was still inside and not leaving. By the end of the day, we found both Monica and Harley together, inside the house. I gave them a treat of shredded lettuce in their dishpan full of water, which Monica just loves. She went for it immediately and encouraged him to help himself too. I took pictures of them while they wandered outside the house together, bobbing their necks and making their gentle happy duck noises. Monica seems very happy with her new friend. She's been alone for a long time.

I'm hoping he'll grow a little bigger since he's still quite young and his head feathers are still just now coming in. I had been interested in this breed before when I first looked into getting ducks. Welsh Harlequins are a light breed, while Silver Appleyards are a large breed. Both are listed as Critical on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, while only the Silver Appleyard is listed in Rare Breeds Canada as Endangered. They are dual purpose (eggs and meat), will usually hatch their own eggs and are calm and good foragers, making them ideal for our farm. They are both stunningly beautiful birds with distinct personalities. I hope to get a Welsh Harlequin female in the spring to make it a trio and hopefully get little ducklings born here, but for now and for the winter, Monica will have a friend since she is very social. That way, she won't have to try and befriend wild ducks in the spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment