With a break in the lambing overnight and this morning, I managed to keep all the other sheep and lambs in the far pasture and leave the 2 girls in the lambing pens (Felicity & Nessa Rose) to have their own pasture. Nessa's lamb, born in the cold snap that hit the city yesterday seemed cold, so I did manage to put a little sweater on her and one on Felicity's little boy too since he's so small. The lamb sweaters are sleeves of an old wool sweater with little Xs cut in the bottom for the lamb's front legs. They both liked their sweaters yesterday, but when I checked on them later, I forgot about little boy lambs and so, the little H-Boy peed in his sweater, so off it came, oops!!! I watched both lambs carefully this morning and saw them feeding well on their moms and happily bouncing around like lambs. I decided to let them venture out into their pasture and since there is only the 2 of them, these new moms will be able to keep track of their lambs.
Above is Felicity's lamb Hamelin (which is German for "one who loves to stay at home", which fits this sleepy boy to a T), sleeping and then just waking up under Felicity's attentiveness, just outside of the lambing pen. He is still so tiny, but he seems fine.
Here is Nessa Rose with Penelope, her lamb who looks a lot like her. She is sporting a very fetching wool sweater to keep her warm as she is just a day old now and started off life a bit chilly. The wind is still cool this morning, but mom seems very attentive and happy to be out. This little girl weighed 2.9 kg at birth, a very good size especially for a first time mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment