Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The cold comes back

Overnight, the temperature dropped and the winds picked up. Parts of Ottawa were dusted in snow. Luckily, not here, but of course another lamb would have to be born in that kind of weather. I've been shuffling things again in the sheep barn. I had to make room for the older lambs and their moms to come in so I split another compartment in the shed with walls and gates and put all the moms and lambs and the very soon to be moms together in the middle and the not so soon moms in the farthest pen. Nessa Rose gave birth to a little ewe lamb in the early morning hours. She is dark grey Katmoget. She seems cold and mom is skittish also, so I've got them in a lambing pen and I've closed all the doors to prevent a draft and cold. I'm going to put a little sweater on her if I can and watch them closely today. I moved them successfully into the pen, ousting Morgan and her white lamb Orion, to explore the new world. Orion did well, but somehow Peaches doesn't like him and several times has whacked him into the ground, poor thing. He's the first ram out there, so likely she's teaching him manners already, being one of the more dominant moms.

Felicity's lamb still looks small and weak, but I see him feeding quite well, so I guess he'll be OK for now. Felicity was whining so much to go out that I decided to open the gate to "see what would happen". Flighty little thing that she is, she took off without a care. I had to give him a rear-end bath due to the stickies and she still didn't return. I'm holding this little lamb in a towel chasing her around the field trying to get her back, but she keeps getting spooked by the other lambs and moms. Finally I opened the right gate and she ran in with her lamb who immediately fed from his long lost mom. They'll be penned up for quite a while yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment