Yesterday brought no new lambs. As I was about to go to bed, I could hear the ewes in the sheep barn making quite a lot of noise, which is unusual. I kept listening by my bathroom window, trying to make out the noises. Believe it or not, I can pick a few voices out amid the flock. I was debating, because it would stop and then start up again. They are so good at lambing unassisted. It was a panicky/strained sound that decided it for me. I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway, wondering.

I raced out to the barn just around midnight. I could see Nadia, my sweetest cuddly lamb from last year with a newborn lamb up and nursing already. I moved Nadia and her Katmoget ram lamb into a lambing pen easily enough. Elphaba was in the process of lambing and even in the darkness it didn't seem right and she was the one in a panic. She was lying down in a dark area and I couldn't see exactly what was wrong. Eventually, I managed to move her into the lambing area that has better light. Her lamb was

presenting head first with no front feet. Her lamb was stuck. I'm not sure if I did right, but I doused my hands in iodine and reached in. I managed to find a little leg bent back at the first joint and pulled that one out. The other one was no where to be found and Elphaba was in distress. Last year Morgan had her first lamb presenting with one front leg back and I jiggled that big lamb out successfully. I had the same scenario now and a bit more experience behind me, so I did the same without hesitation. The lamb finally came out, looking exactly like her mother, a black Blettet ewe lamb, another definite Quinn breeding. She has the strongest sucking desire I've seen all year. She appears all legs. She weighed 2.85 kg and I've named her Giselle, which is English for oath, hostage. I'm certain I uttered many an oath only the sheep can repeat last night, she was definitely a hostage, and she has the legs of a ballerina. I really had to yank on that lamb, but she seems OK so far, perhaps a bit askew? Her mom I'm hoping will recover. She seemed great after that lamb came out, a good and doting mother and heartily ate the hay and treats I gave her for such a good job.
Giselle, Elphaba's lamb
Sounds like the title for this post should be 'Midnight Problems ... that I SOLVED'. Nicely done! Cute lamb.
ReplyDelete