Sunday, April 25, 2010

More ewe lambs

Vespera
Vespera & Tess
As I was heading off to bed last night, I heard a ewe in the sheep barn making noise. I headed out there at midnight to find that Tess had given birth to a little white & musket spotted katmoget ewe lamb. She was in a corner cleaning off her lamb and using her body to prevent the other ewes from getting anywhere near her lamb. Smart girl because stealing of lambs when they are so close to being due is a very real issue in this breed. I moved her into the lambing pen, helped a bit with the drying and observed for a while. Everything seemed to be going well, so I was back in bed in half an hour. This morning everything was going well with Tess and her lamb. She weighs 2.7 kg and is adorable. Her base colouring is a
dark brown and she has distinct spotting on her body...she looks ready to go outside already, but unless I need the room, I'll leave them in the lambing pen for a bit. I've named her Vespera which is Latin for Evening Star for her midnight arrival.

I was inside talking about fencing plans with Hugh and about to go take a shower, when I spotted another lamb out in the pasture. Peaches gave birth on pasture to a very dark ewe lamb...not what I'm expecting out of Twist. She looks a little wobbly, so hopefully she'll be OK. I've named her Rawnie which is Gypsy for Lady. She is a grey Katmoget.
Peaches with her lamb, Rawnie

No comments:

Post a Comment